Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created by The Broke and the Bookish featuring a new top ten list each week. This weekly meme is open to all and sundry.
This week’s topic:
Top Ten Bookish Pet Peeves (This includes all those things that annoy you in a story, with book covers, bookstores, etc.)
Here is my list:
1. Book blurbs at the back cover of books that do not tell exactly what is to be expected in books: I often find this with books written by established and well-known writers. Because these writers have already made their names, any book they write is assumed to be excellent, hence those over-exaggerated blurbs we find at the back of their books. At the end, not all those blurbs are true.
2. Government libraries that are not well-stocked: It is a pity that, most contemporary books cannot be found in government libraries in Ghana. Most often, I would like to borrow a novel from the government libraries in my country so as to curtail the cost of purchasing from the bookstores. But the books are not available. You only find old, tattered books that often smell of age.
3. Conflicting pricing of books: I sometime wonder why each and every bookstore in Ghana has its own way of pricing books. Whereas one bookstore may be selling an African novel for say 3 Cedis, it may be going for 4 Cedis in a different bookstore. At the end, I found out that they raise the prices of a particular book if that book is high in demand.
4. Books that are not original copies: Obviously, all books that are not the original copies often have the smaller texts that make reading difficult. I understand that the texts are made small so as to make the book smaller and cheaper.
5. Dull Cover Designs: I am most often drawn to books by their book covers. Yes, you heard me right! Does that look absurd to you? Certainly, it shouldn’t. I like bright, nice designs and dislike those with dull designs – it may pull me away from the book. Never mind, at the end of the day, I still go in for books with dull covers pertaining to book recommendations and good reviews I have heard of the book. Hope I am not confusing you here? Or, am I contradicting myself? Certainly, no!
6. Typos: I have less to say about this because they just bore me to the core.
7. Torn pages in books: This often happens with used books. For God’s sake what if the major action happens in the torn out page(s)?
8. Books with dirty pages and small creeping ants: Again, this happens with used books or old books that have been stacked in the library for a long period of time.
9. Books with poor endings: For God’s sake why should a nice, flowing prose start and end poorly? Should I set an example? Maybe, later. Often, this happens with YA books where all things happen perfectly at the end of the whole story.
10. Expensive books: Books are generally too expensive here in Ghana and to say the least, these are books that are not new releases. This makes it too difficult to acquire more books.
What are your bookish pet peeves? I would be interested in knowing yours?