Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created by The Broke and the Bookish featuring a new top ten list each week. Everyone can participate- head on over to their blog and sign up.
This week’s topic is Top 10 Books I’d like to see be made into movies.
1. The Sun by Night by Benjamin Kwakye – Though the author is a Ghanaian, only few people have heard of or read this book in Ghana. With a heavy dose of historical elements woven into the story and a well crafted plot, I yearn to see how this would be turned into a movie. I believe it would be a delight to watch the motion pictures of this book.
2. Two Thousand Seasons by Ayi Kwei Armah – The characterization of this book leaves much to desire. I do think this book could make a better movie.
3. Life of Pi by Yann martel – There have been so many controversies surrounding this book being turned into a movie. There have been many trials but all failed due to so many reasons. Another attempt has began and the movie is scheduled to come out in December 2012. I would be watching closely for this.
4. Midnight’s Children by Salman Rushdie – This is a powerful book by all standards and considering the year in which the book was written, 1981, I thought a movie should have been made out of it long time ago. However it is good news that a noted Director, Mehta has started production on it. Hope to see the movie side of it.
5. Half of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozie Adichie – This is one book I enjoyed reading from the beginning to the end and was a book that received a warmly welocme into the literary world. I wish to see the movie version of this book. In 2008, a film adaptation was announced, with a screenplay to be written by playwright Biyi Bandele.
6 – 10: I sincerely believe that there are countless number of titles by African writers which could be turned into movies. A case in point are books published by Heinemann under the African Writers Series.
What books would you like to see as movies? Let me hear from you via comments.