The much awaited shortlist for this year’s Man Booker prize has been announced on today, Tuesday 6th September.
The shorlisted authors include:
1. Julian Barnes The Sense of an Ending (Jonathan Cape – Random House)
2. Carol Birch Jamrach’s Menagerie (Canongate Books)
3. Patrick deWitt The Sisters Brothers (Granta)
4. Esi Edugyan Half Blood Blues (Serpent’s Tail)
5. Stephen Kelman Pigeon English (Bloomsbury)
6. A.D Mille Snowdrops (Atlantic)
The judges’ selection includes two first time novelists – Stephen Kelman and A.D. Miller – while four of the books are from independent publishers. Two Canadian writers feature on the shortlist – Patrick deWitt and Esi Edugyan – along with four British novelists. It is important to note that Esi Edugyan was born to Ghanaian emigrant parents.
Having read reviews on all the six shortlisted books, I am expexting Esi Edugyan to pick the prize…(Oh yes!)